In 1946, Harry Truman was president. The Atomic Energy Commission was established It was the beginning of The Cold War. The Lost Weekend was awarded best picture. It was also this year that the first business license was issued to what would eventually become Uncle Bill’s in 1961.
After World War II, a large influx of people came as a result of the desirability of the area for year-round living. Servicemen visiting during the war returned to live here. The development of the defense industry brought many people to the South Bay to reside and work. Much of the land east of Sepulveda was developed to house the influx of people.
“Uncle Bill” McElroy opened Uncle Bill's in 1961. Or rather, half of it was Uncle Bill's - the south end was a barbershop until 1999. P. Allen VanAmburgh bought the restaurant in 1973, remodeled the place a bit, and added a few tables. In 2000, the restaurant expanded again into the space vacated by the barbershop, and opened the outdoor patio. Today the restaurant remains in the VanAmburgh family, who are happy to welcome you for breakfast and lunch every day."